Thursday, September 13, 2012

Waiting

Hello blogger world! It has been awhile. I don't really know why. When I first started thinking about it I assumed that it was because I couldn't think of anything to write. However, after a small emotional breakdown today, I have realized that it is because there is SO much to write, SO much on my mind and heart, SO many emotions that it is difficult to come up with the words to say.

I can't believe that I have actually been back to Haiti twice since my last blog. I traveled to Haiti in March of this year with two friends that also know and love our Makendy. I was blessed to have the opportunity to meet with the new director of the IBESR (Haitian Social Services), Madame Villedrouin, specifically about Makendy and our adoption process. It just felt good to have her see my face and hear my story. Her suggestion was to have us write a formal letter asking that Makendy be moved from his current location to a place where we would have more contact with him until we can bring him home. She also arranged for someone to take me to see Makendy which was a huge blessing because it is very difficult to get into the orphanage that he is currently living in. 

Makendy was doing well and was happy to see me. It breaks my heart spending time with him only to leave him again. I wish that I could help him understand why I cannot take him away from "that place". They do not allow me to see him for longer than about an hour. But, it is enough time to share hugs, kisses, snuggles, smiles and a few words. The most important being, "mwen renmen ou" (I love you). 

After my visit with Makendy the first thing I did was prepare the letter requesting IBESR move him to a location where he would receive better care in preparation for him to come home with us. Piece of cake, right? Write a letter and submit it! (This is the point when all of my "Haiti friends" chuckle because they know nothing is easy in Haiti :)  We soon found out that he couldn't be moved on our 
behalf until our official adoption dossier was submitted requesting our adoption of Makendy. (Just a small detail that was left out prior to NOW!!!) This would have been great if our adoption dossier had been formally submitted to IBESR. However, IBESR stopped taking new adoption requests from June 1st-August 1st. During this time they would be reevaluating things, working towards becoming Hague accredited and changing some of their guidelines. In the mean time, it is now September 13th, IBESR is STILL not taking new adoption requests, our Dossier is STILL sitting on our attorneys desk waiting to be submitted and our son sits, patiently in an orpahange.....waiting.

Why is so much time spent waiting? Waiting for paperwork, waiting for background checks, waiting for signatures, waiting for a phone call, an email, an update. Days, months and even years go by....while we wait. Children sit in orpahanges with empty bellies, sad and alone....while we wait. These children are missing out on nutrition, an education and a forever, loving family....while we wait.

I know....I am not a social worker, I don't work at an adoption agency, I do not know what goes on within the political walls of the adoption process. And, I don't understand all of the logistics that go into taking a child from a third world country and giving them to a forever family.

All I know is that I am a mom. Who loves and misses her son. Who is tired of waiting. 








1 comment:

  1. Jenny, I love seeing your updates. Waiting patiently is the hardest thing to do. I will pray for God to give you patience and understanding in this process. Makendy is so blessed to have such a great family that loves him dearly.

    Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete